Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hey,
So I tried to keep reading the Simpson's book but I couldn't. It was too try and surprisingly not as funny as I expected. Either way, I suppose I'll still review it and share some of my thoughts. By reading this book my eyes were opened to an entirely new world. The bureaucratic and political world of writing for a show. As expected in life everyone will come across those people they naturally don't like, and this same rule applies to those who write for television. Every show has multiple writers and producers who all give input in the drafting room, and that group of writers doesn't always get along. There are quarrels and caterwauls during the writing of nearly every script. Once all disputes have been settles from the writing process next comes the demon of who takes credit for the great ideas. For those of us that watch TV, we all suffer through the pain of watching credits scroll before and after every show. Usually only one name will appear in those credits next to the title of creator. However, from this book I have learned that most shows are the creation of a room full of brainstorming writers, yet only one person gets to take credit for it. If you ask me, that doesn't fair at all, but then again nothing in life is fair and we all have turmoil to deal with.
     While I did gain quite a bit of knowledge in the 100 pages I read in the Simpsons, it just wasn't my cup of tea. The book was compiled with small quotes and thoughts from many people and contained little prose. It was kind of a long read and was hard to get into. If you are interested in creation of television sitcoms check this book out, however, if you're looking to laugh your butt off I'd recommend just watching the Simpsons.

RocketGuild Out

No comments:

Post a Comment